Expert Recruitment and Strategy
High-stakes litigation involving complex scientific issues requires counsel to identify and recruit the right experts.
These experts must be prepared and well suited to advise as well as to testify. The right experts will be individuals with specific experience and skills that are directly applicable to technical questions in the case. These individuals will be academic thought leaders, physicians, private consultants, government employees, engineers, or even sometimes company employees.
The candidates must have unassailable credentials, relevant experience and proven communication skills. Through our longstanding, broad professional network and our extensive research skills, we can connect you with the ideal expert to match your specific litigation needs.
Because of this long list of qualifications, finding and vetting the best expert for your case is often a daunting challenge. ISS has longstanding relationships with thought leaders across multiple disciplines and a broad professional network. We have a proven history of success helping counsel find the ideal expert. We provide below a list of the reasons why you should turn to ISS for our expert witness recruitment and strategy services.
- Experience: The ISS team has over 30 years of experience identifying and recruiting testifying experts for complex legal, regulatory and legislative challenges.
- Relationships: ISS has longstanding relationships with top tier experts in a broad range of scientific and medical disciplines cutting across a wide array of scientific areas, including human health assessments, environmental sciences, regulatory evaluations, and statistical analyses.
- The Right Context: We have had direct involvement in hundreds of complex scientific disputes over three decades. This wide-ranging experience allows for a unique understanding of counsel’s nuanced needs with respect to your expert team.
- Communication: We pride ourselves on our ability to communicate substantively and effectively with the expert team and with our clients.
- Independent and Objective: You can always rely on an unbiased point of view from ISS. We will find you the best experts ideally suited for the case.
- Analysis: ISS will provide you with a detailed analysis of candidate expert's qualifications, research interests, testimonial history and communication skills.
- Facilitation and Interaction: We will facilitate positive and productive relationships between counsel and experts.
- Success: At the end of the day, you want to prevail or secure the best outcome for your client. We have a long history of success recruiting internationally (and locally) recognized experts for high profile matters.
ISS has successfully helped counsel recruit testifying and non-testifying experts in 100s of cases. Select areas of expertise ISS has deep experience and relationships include:
- Medicine (e.g., neurology, dermatology, gastroenterology, cardiology, pulmonology, etc.)
- Pharmacology / Toxicology
- Epidemiology / Statistics
- Risk Assessment and Communication
- Occupational Health
- Public Health
- Economics / Financial Analysis
Types of Litigation
Members of the ISS team have been involved in a host of different litigations over the past three decades. These wide-ranging experiences provide us with a deep contextual understanding of all different litigation landscapes, each one informing the other. The following are some examples of the types of litigations for which we have provided expert support.
- Product liability
- Toxic tort
- Insurance coverage
- Intellectual Property
- Securities or shareholder disputes
- Regulatory and legislative challenges [hearings, lobbying efforts, product approval, etc.]
- Public relations and communications initiatives